Student Complaint

Written complaints should contain the following information: 

  • the complainant’s name and contact information
  • a clear description of the problem or complaint
  • appropriate supporting documentation that is directly related to the complaint
  • a description of any subsequent actions taken by the complainant or the University
  • a description of the desired outcome

All written complaints received and copies of any responses will be kept on file in the Student Affairs office. Complaints which are unsigned or are not received in written format (e.g. complaints received by phone or in person) will not be considered. 

Student Complaint Submission Form

The Dean of Student Affairs will respond to each complaint within 15 business days of receipt. If no other action was requested, the response will acknowledge receipt of the complaint. If further action is requested, the response will describe the actions to be initiated by the Student Affairs office and any further information from the complainant that may be required.

Academic Matters

Written complaints about grades will follow the Grade Appeal process as outlined in the University Catalog.


If a student disagrees with the grade received in a class, the student has the right to appeal using a formal appeal process. All grade appeals must be confined to irregularities in class policy and the assignment of grades. Concerns or complaints about faculty attitudes, ideas, or behavior should be directed to the dean of the school offering the class or the dean of students. If the academic dean is the subject of the complaint, the student should speak with the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Grade appeals deal with the policies, as stated in the syllabus, by which final course grades are determined. Classes may vary among instructors, but fundamentally fair treatment of students in compliance with the syllabus provided for the course should be a constant. The process for appealing a grade works as follows (except for courses taken in the Patty Hanks Shelton School of Nursing):

  • Initial attempts to resolve any grade dispute must be between the student and the instructor for the course.
  • If meeting with the instructor does not resolve the dispute, the student can proceed with the complaint by making an appointment to discuss the issue with the dean of the school. Depending on the situation, the dean may request a follow-up meeting to include the student and instructor.
  • If meeting with the dean does not resolve the dispute, the student can make a formal appeal to the Student Appeals Committee. The complaint must be initiated within thirty days of the posting of grades. This is a formal written appeal that consists of the following materials. A written statement of the issue and past attempts to resolve the issue with the instructor involved and the dean of the school. Any pertinent documentation supplied by the student in support of their argument, including a copy of the course syllabus and any specific assignments or coursework related to the complaint.
  • The Student Appeals Committee will solicit feedback from the instructor and may schedule a hearing at which both parties will be given limited but equal time to present their cases and for rebuttal. A question and answer period will allow committee members to solicit additional information.
  • At the conclusion of the testimony, both parties will be dismissed and the Student Appeals Committee will deliberate and vote on the appeal. A simple majority vote is required to decide the appeal. The student, instructor, and Vice President for Academic Affairs will be notified in writing of the committee’s decision.
  • Decisions of the Student Appeals Committee are final and cannot be further appealed.


Matters Written complaints about administrative or other student services should be directed initially to the appropriate office but may be submitted to the Student Affairs office if satisfactory resolution is not achieved. Appropriate documentation would include copies of any relevant contracts, notices, or other official or informal correspondence with the office or other University personnel.

All student complaints must first be addressed internally. If the internal resources have been exhausted and the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the student may file a complaint with the appropriate regulatory agency in Texas and/or McMurry’ s accrediting agency. The appropriate regulatory agency in Texas to file a complaint with is the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. The accrediting agency for McMurry is the Southern Association of College and Schools, Commission on Colleges .